Please pardon my sarcasm at the ridiculousness of their reasoning:
- Being gay is not natural. Yeah … like real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester and air conditioning.
- Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay. Gee … I guess they think that hanging around tall people just might make them taller.
- Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets. Right, because their dog actually has legal standing under the Constitution and can actually use a pen to sign that marriage contract.
- Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all. Hmm…really? How do they explain women no longer being treated like “property” — or inter-racial couples now being able to marry — or the concept of “divorce” which didn’t used to be legal?
- Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed. And how might that be? Is your Congressional Representative proposing to eliminate your marriage deductions if gays get to marry. Or better yet, should the sanctity of every marriage look like that of Britney Spears or your favorite talking heads, e.g., Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, etc.
- The only valid marriages are those which produce children. Oh come on, give me a break! Justice Sotomayer shredded that reasoning in about one minute’s time yesterday morning. Are they seriously trying to argue that gay couples, infertile couples and old people should be allowed to marry because they can serve a governmental requirement to procreate? Get Real!
- Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children. UHHHH … read reason #6. If gay couples can’t procreate, how the heck are they going to bear and raise gay children. Apparently GOD gave some “straight” couple a gay kid. Maybe you should talk to GOD about that …. just sayin’
- Gay marriage is not supported by religion. Excuse me … but for all the Constitution-thumping you folks do, what exactly is it that you do not understand about the separation of church and state dictated by the Constitution …. or do you read the Constitution like you apparently read your bible? I’m sorry, but our Constitution does not permit you to impose “your personal theology” on others.
- Children can never succeed without both a male and a female role model at home. Sure that’s why we have so many dead-beat dad who not only don’t show up to lend a helping hand from time to time, but who fail to provide any monetary support. Oh … and please enlighten me. Just exactly when was it we passed a law saying it was forbidden for single parents to raise children?
- Gay marriage will change the foundation of our society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Excuse me? Like we haven’t been able to adapt to electricity, cars, the internet, making slavery illegal, finally allowing women to vote and own property?
LGBT folks have been around, and have been incessantly ostracized, since the time of Moses — you know, that guy who climbed the mountain back in the eye-for-an-eye old testament days — in the time BEFORE Jesus Christ walked the earth. Sunday is Easter, an anniversary of the death of Jesus Christ, who supposedly died for the sins of mankind. Folks opposing marriage equality — who call themselves “Christian” — should take some time this weekend reflect on the true teachings of their “savior.”
Marriage is more than a religious rite. It’s an economic issue. It’s a tax issue. It’s an inheritance issue. It’s a Social Security benefits issue. But, most of all it’s a love, commitment and family issue. It’s well past the time we should put the discriminatory policy of marriage inequality to an end. Those of you who are against marriage equality need to stop drinking, smoking or ingesting whatever substance is leading to all this hate-mongering. Get over it. Grow up and get a life.