Winnemucca Futures Project is hosting the 3ndAnnual Winnemucca Futures Forum 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM, on Thursday, May 15th at the Convention Center in Winnemucca.
Humboldt Development Authority’s Board Chairman Pat Gray says that “a lot has changed since we held the forum last year, the lower gold prices have halted or postponed many mining expansion projects, but there are many other positive things happening in and around our community. In fact the downturn in workforce and housing demand has provided us with a great opportunity to better position our community for growth in other, more diverse business sectors. Our goal is to provide accurate up to date information on the current status and plans of our largest employers, and provide an overview of the economic development and growth we are experiencing in the region. People should come hear what is going on and get into the stream of economic development and help it happen.”
Recent developments in national and global economies have significantly reduced the demand for the precious metals so abundant in the region, while at the same time the demand for green technology and energy related projects have a bright future. Attend the Forum and hear from the region’s largest employers in these fields about what they are facing on the front lines of their operations.
There is change on the horizon, and the presentations throughout the day will provide a basic understanding of the opportunities and challenges these changes will provide to Nevada and the Northern Nevada region. You will hear a series of 20 minute updates, followed by a 10 minute Q&A with each presenter. Many of the largest organizations who have large scale operations, or big plans in the region, will make presentations. Currently expected are:
- Newmont Mining – Status of operations, needs, and challenges in Nevada, northern Nevada and in our region. Brief updates on the Carlin Trend, Twin Creeks, Phoenix, Long Canyon, etc.
- Barrick Gold – Status of operations, needs, and challenges in Nevada, especially northern Nevada. Brief updates on the Carlin Trend, Gold Strike, Cortez, Turquoise Ridge, etc.
- Allied Nevada Gold – Update on the Hycroft Mine expansion project
- Silver Standard Resources – Update on their recent acquisition of the Marigold Mine and how this might impact activities.
- Western State Lithium – Plans for the continued development of the Kings Valley Project.
- Recology Environmental Solutions – Update on plans for the Jungo Road mega landfill.
- New Vision Development – Update on the largest housing and commercial development projects in the history of Winnemucca.
- Great Basin College – Update on vocational programs covered in their Applied Science Dept.
- Humboldt General Hospital – Recently completed expansion projects and plans for future expansion.
The Winnemucca Futures Project is designed to proactively promote the public interest by encouraging community growth and sustainable development through communications and collaboration. Its Futures Forum’s are designed to inform and educate local leaders, decision makers, and citizens about the many changes sweeping rapidly over the world, and affecting local communities in the region.
Previous Winnemucca Futures Project workshops, discussions, and forums have focused on global trends like population dynamics, world food supplies, and changing economic circumstances across the globe. Conversations have explored and discussed the major economic drivers impacting the local future, including information technologies, agricultural crop prices, and water supplies. Local community capacity issues like leadership development, collaboration and communications have been addressed. Community members have been probing and thinking deeply about how all these issues will affect their ability to create a responsive and adaptable community that can reach its agreed upon vision.
“If you have a stake in Winnemucca and Humboldt County’s future, if you have or are seeking business opportunities in the region, or if you or your organization is responsible for providing services in the region, you should be here!” – Bill Sims, Coordinator – Humboldt Development Authority
Businesses, agencies, and organizations with an interest, or a stake in the future of the region are urged to attend the Winnemucca Futures Forum. Lunch will be catered by The Martin Hotel and will be provided jointly by Barrick Gold and Newmont Mining.
For planning purposes, organizers urge you to confirm your attendance at the Forum. Please contact HDA Coordinator Bill Sims at (775) 623-1064, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Bill or any of the Humboldt Development Authority Board of Directors.
The Humboldt Development Authority is the economic development agency partnership of public and private entities and individuals formed by a cooperative agreement between the City of Winnemucca and the Humboldt County Commission.